The Press Democrat Online is a news and information service available on the Internet's World Wide Web. The Press Democrat, owned by The New York Times Company, is publisher of pressdemocrat.com. For more information about The Press Democrat, visit the About Us page.
By viewing the pressdemocrat.com and downloading its pages, you agree to abide by the policies outlined in this agreement.
From time to time, we may make changes to these policies. If we do, we will notify you by posting the changes here. Continuing to use the site after we have posted notice of these changes means that you agree to the changes.
Forums and Discussion Areas
Pressdemocrat.com encourages an open exchange of information and ideas. But we cannot and do not review postings made in the chat rooms, forums, or other public posting areas. Accordingly, we do not make any representations, nor do we endorse the accuracy, completeness, timeliness, or reliability of any advice, opinion, statement or other information available through pressdemocrat.com. We do not guarantee that such material has been posted with the permission of the copyright or the proprietary owner. You may rely on such materials solely at your own risk. We are not responsible for materials contained in postings, but we do reserve the right to remove or modify such materials at our sole discretion for any reason.
When using Pressdemocrat.com, please do not post material that:
- contains vulgar, profane, abusive, racist or hateful language or expressions, epithets or slurs, text, photographs or illustrations in poor taste, inflammatory attacks of a personal, racial or religious nature.
- is defamatory, threatening, disparaging, grossly inflammatory, false, misleading, fraudulent, inaccurate, unfair, contains gross exaggeration or unsubstantiated claims, violates the privacy rights of any third party, is unreasonably harmful or offensive to any individual or community. violates any right of Pressdemocrat.com or any third party.
- discriminates on the grounds of race, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation or disability, or refers to such matters in any manner prohibited by law. violates or inappropriately encourages the violation of any municipal, state, federal or international law, rule, regulation or ordinance.
- unfairly interferes with any third party's uninterrupted use of Pressdemocrat.com. advertises, promotes or offers to trade any goods or services, except in areas specifically designated for such purpose.
- "flames" any individual or entity (e.g., sends repeated messages related to another user and/or makes derogatory or offensive comments about another individual), or repeats prior posting of the same message under multiple threads or subjects.
Responsibility for what is posted in the chat rooms, forums, and other public posting areas on pressdemocrat.com lies with each user. You alone are responsible for the material you post. By using pressdemocrat.com you agree to abide by the following rules when posting material and content:
(1) When posting public notices to other users, you agree that you are solely responsible for any statements that are posted using your account. Use of your real name is optional, but do not impersonate someone else.
(2) You will not post or upload any material or links to material (including, but not limited to text, content, photos, video, animation, graphics, audio, or software) that is libelous, harassing, disruptive or a violation of applicable law or that would constitute grounds for civil liability.
(3) Your postings in a particular discussion area will be reasonably germane to that topic.
(4) You will not post advertisements, chain letters, charity requests, petitions for signatures, or any solicitation of other users.
(5) You will only post materials for which you have obtained appropriate copyright or other permission to upload and to permit downloading by other users for personal, noncommercial use.
(6) You will not violate, plagiarize, or infringe on the rights of third parties, including, copyright, trademark, trade secret, privacy, personal, publicity, or proprietary rights.
If you encounter questionable materials on pressdemocrat.com, please contact us directly by clicking on this electronic mail link: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Although pressdemocrat.com cannot monitor all the postings in the chat rooms, forums, and other public areas, we reserve the right (but assume no obligation) to delete, move, or edit any postings that come to our attention that we consider unacceptable or inappropriate, whether for legal or other reasons. We will not, in the ordinary course of business, review private electronic messages that are not addressed to pressdemocrat.com. However, we will comply with the requirements of the law regarding disclosure of such messages to others, including law enforcement agencies.
Pressdemocrat.com expressly reserves the right to remove or ban any user for inappropriate conduct. If your registration or account is terminated, you may not engage in user activities in pressdemocrat.com, in any manner for any reason, without the express and written consent of a pressdemocrat.com administrator. If you assist in enabling a terminated user to access pressdemocrat.com through your registration or account, your registration or account will be revoked.
Our Representations and Warranties
Material on pressdemocrat.com is available "as is." We warrant neither that access to pressdemorat.com will be uninterrupted nor that material appearing thereon will be error-free. There may be delays, omissions, or interruptions and inaccuracies in the news, information or other materials available through pressdemocrat.com.
We do not make any warranties, express or implied, including without limitation, those of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose, with respect to pressdemocrat.com or any information or goods that are available on, or advertised or sold through, pressdemocrat.com. We do not make any representations, nor do we endorse the accuracy, completeness, timeliness or reliability of any advice, opinion, statement or other material or database displayed, uploaded or distributed in pressdemocrat.com or available through links from pressdemocrat.com.
We reserve the right to correct any errors or omissions appearing on pressdemocrat.com. Although we intend to take reasonable steps to prevent the introduction of viruses, worms, "Trojan Horses" or other destructive materials on pressdemocrat.com, we do not guarantee or warrant that pressdemocrat.com or materials that may be downloaded from pressdemocrat.com do not contain such destructive features. We are not liable for any damages or harm attributable to such features. If you rely on pressdemocrat.com and any materials available through pressdemocrat.com, you do so solely at your own risk.
Your Responsibility for Your Content
You will be responsible for any and all liability resulting from publication, distribution or redistribution related to material you post on pressdemocrat.com or the use of such material by any person (including liability resulting from any virus, worm, "Trojan Horse" or other contaminating or destructive feature of the data). You agree to indemnify and hold harmless pressdemocrat.com, our directors, officers, shareholders, parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, agents, and licensers, from and against all losses, expenses, damages and costs, including reasonable attorneys' fees, resulting from your violation of the User Agreement. We reserve the right to take over the exclusive defense of any claim for which we are entitled to indemnification under this Section. In such event, you shall provide us with such cooperation as is reasonably requested by us.
From time to time we may offer pressdemocrat.com users the opportunity to purchase goods and services via the Internet. While we will take reasonable security precautions concerning electronic transmission of data or communications, we disclaim any liability for interception of such data or communications. You agree that we shall not be under a duty to inquire as to the authority or propriety of any information or instructions given to us by you and we shall be entitled to act upon any such information or instructions, and we will not be liable for any loss, cost, expense or other liability arising out of any such instructions.
Limit On Our Liability
The Press Democrat, its officers, directors, shareholders, parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, agents, or licensers are not liable for incidental, indirect, consequential, special, punitive, or exemplary damages of any kind, including lost revenues or profits, loss of business or loss of data, in any way related to this service or for any claim, loss or injury based on errors or omission, interruptions or any other inaccuracies appearing on pressdemocrat.com (including without limitation a result of breach of any warranty or other term of this Agreement). Any claim against us shall be limited to the amount you paid, if any, to us for use of pressdemocrat.com.
We may, in our sole discretion, terminate or suspend your access to all or part of this service for any reason, including failure to comply with these usage rules. Access to pressdemocrat.com is currently free. We reserve the right to charge for such access in the future, to change the usage rules or to modify any features of pressdemocrat.com at any time.
The usage rules shall be governed by the laws of the United States of America and the state of California.
Copyrights, Trademarks, etc. All materials appearing on pressdemocrat.com are protected by copyright as a collective work or compilation under U.S. copyright and other laws and are the property of the New York Times Co. or the party credited as the provider of the content.
You may not copy, reproduce, distribute, publish, display, perform, modify, create derivative works, transmit, or in any way exploit any such content, nor may you distribute any part of this content -- including logos, trademarks or service marks -- over any network, including a local area network, sell or offer it for sale, or use such content to construct any kind of database.
However, you may download from Press Democrat Online such content for your own personal, noncommercial use, but limited to only one machine-readable copy, or one print copy, or a single electronic copy on your computer's hard drive or on a diskette. You may not alter or remove any copyright or other notice from copies of the content.
Copying or storing any content except as provided above is expressly prohibited without prior written permission of the copyright holder identified in the individual content's copyright notice.
All requests for print republication should be directed to Bob Swofford at 707-526-8585 or email@example.com. Requests to link to pressdemocrat.com content from other sites should be directed to the Web Administrator .
Other information providers accessible through pressdemocrat.com own their content. The Press Democrat cannot grant permission to reuse or republish material from those information providers. Please contact them directly.