Fire burned out the inside of a Guerneville cabin Wednesday, displacing its resident as well as the resident of a nearby cabin, said Russian River Fire Chief Max Ming.
Russian River area firefighters rushed to the blaze at about 1:36 p.m. after several people called 911 to say they could see smoke coming from the rural property on Old Monte Rio Road near Cherry Street.
The cabin wasn’t far from the Russian River fire station and Ming was there in just a minute and a half, followed by an engine.
Fire was already coming out the front and back of the cabin, Ming said.
Flames threatened a nearby two-story home as well as another, smaller cabin, Ming said. In addition, one propane gas meter had started to leak and caught fire.
“That gave us concern, but we were able to shut it off,” Ming said.
Firefighters put out the flames in about 20 minutes, he said. The inside of the cabin was badly damaged but both neighboring buildings were saved.
Red Cross was called to help house the man living in the cabin as well as the person living in the smaller cabin. Electricity to both buildings was shut off.
The cause of the fire wasn’t clear Wednesday afternoon, but Ming said it appeared to be accidental.
Firefighters from Monte Rio, Forestville and Cal Fire also responded to the blaze.