The most wonderful time of the year can also be one of the most calamitous on the homefront.
The holidays are a time when we're playing with fire, fiddling with Christmas lights and putting our ovens and stoves into perpetual use. December is the peak time for fires caused by candles, and while housefires ignited by Christmas trees aren't common, they are often deadly, with one out of every 40 Christmas tree fires resulting in death, according to the U.S. Fire Administration.
The National Fire Data Center, with the Department of Homeland Security, said the losses per residential fire during the winter are one-and-a-half times greater than other types of fires. But death and injury rates are twice as great.
To prevent an accident from draining the happy out of your holidays, take a little time to do a safety check of your house, do some basic maintenance of appliances and be mindful of potential hazards.
“Don't be in a hurry as you're doing things,” advises Sonoma County Fire Marshall Roberta McIntyre. “Don't be in a rush around the stove. Don't be be rushed putting lights on the tree. If you get too rushed you may forget to be observant about the things that might happen if you don't do things properly.”
Fire detectors: Check the batteries on your smoke detectors. And if you have any natural gas in your house, purchase a carbon monoxide detector. You're more at risk now for poisoning when the windows are closed. McIntyre recommends checking batteries each time you move the clock forward or back.
Christmas tree safety: Trees are highly flammable. “It can go up in less than a minute,” McIntyre warns. “All that's left is a little stick sticking out of a stand.” To prevent that, replace older lights with the newer LED lights that put out a lot less heat. Some tree fires are caused by loose connections. Even though you can theoretically string together endless strands of lights, that can lead to electrical overload. McIntyre says three strands together should be your maximum. Connect them to an extension cord. And don't overload electrical outlets. Also, make sure the connections are all securely plugged together and into the wall. Improper connections can create sparks. If you have a real tree, keep it adequately watered to keep it from drying out. McIntyre says they can gulp the water in their stands rapidly, so check a couple times a day and refill the water if necessary.